Model fliers have a number of legal obligations set out in CAA publication CAP658 and the guidance contained within the BMFA Members’ Handbook is generally designed to ensure that if followed, members will comply with current requirements.
WMAC is affiliated to the BMFA and therefore requires our members to adhere to both the BMFA guidelines and these Club specified rules:
- Always check to see who else is on the same frequency (35MHz only).
- Do not switch your transmitter on, unless you are in possession of the appropriate frequency peg (35MHz only).
- Return the frequency peg to the board (35MHz only) after your flight and post-flight checks.
- Do not hog or forget to return the peg (35MHz only).
- If more than two modellers are on site, you must use the frequency control peg system (35MHz only).
- Don’t go home with the frequency peg (35MHz only).
- An Orange pennant (35MHz) identifying your frequency number should be attached to your transmitter.
- Always restrain your model, either by helper or by some sort of tail restraint before attempting to start your engine.
- Never start engines facing the pits. Face the flying area. Make sure your prop wash is not going in the direction of anyone.
- Always inform other pilots flying of your intentions (there may be someone on dead stick approach).
- Noise regulations will be in accordance with BMFA guidelines.
- No aerials will be extended in the pits area (35MHz only).
- Engines must not be run for prolonged periods in the pits area.
- No more than 4 i.c. models to be in the air at one time.
- All pilots must produce BMFA insurance proof on request.
- No unleashed dogs allowed in the field.
- The lighting of fires is not permitted under any circumstances.
- All litter and the remains of damaged models to be removed.
- No person to fly a model unless completely satisfied that it is safe to do so. This includes weather conditions as well as air worthiness. Note: under CAA rules, this responsibility rests with the pilot and you could be prosecuted for any failure to comply.
- Pilots must be in possession of a BMFA ‘A’ Certificate before flying solo, or be accompanied on the flying session with a qualified A Certified member and hold a valid Provisional A Test (more info here).
- Guest fliers are welcome but only by prior consent of a committee member, must be accompanied by the inviting member at all times and must produce proof of insurance. A guest flyer may attend up to 3 times per year. The inviting member is responsible at all times for the guest and their behaviour.
- No games or horseplay on the field.
- A parent or legal guardian must supervise any vulnerable adult or person under eighteen at all times.
- Models larger than 50cc must be flown in front of 2 committee members before being flown solo unless already noise tested using a club noise meter.
- EMERGENCY TEMPORARY COVID-19 RULE 1: All members must abide by the policy in it’s entirety put in place by the Committee, our landlords and the Government. This involves any booking in systems that are in place, cancelling bookings no longer needed, social distancing measures and limitations of use of the flying sites. You must keep up to date with the policy, as during these times the policy can evolve and change frequently. The policy can be found in full at https://www.wmac.uk/covid
- EMERGENCY TEMPORARY COVID-19 RULE 2: You must tell a committee member if you have noticed symptoms of the Coronavirus and you have been flying in the past two weeks
Please bear in mind you sign these rules when you join the club. Any breaking of these rules is treated with the same severity as the rule that has been broken. This is for your safety and our future on the sites we occupy.